Undoubtedly the biggest and best tax set in London.

Legal 500, 2018

Instructions are accepted from solicitors (including those in-house with specific Industries) under Professional Client Access and, under Licensed Access, accountants (Chartered and Certified) and members of other authorised professions including members of the Chartered Institute of Taxation. The term ‘Licensed Access’ replaces the terms ‘BarDIRECT’ and ‘Direct Professional Access’. Generally speaking, those who enjoyed rights under Direct Professional Access have similar and more often even greater rights under Licensed Access.

Please do not hesitate to contact the clerks for further guidance.

Professional Client Access

The following people may instruct barristers either on behalf of clients or on their own account:

·         any person authorised by another approved regulator (not the Bar Standards Board) or licensing authority;

·         an employed barrister or registered European lawyer;

·         any practising barrister or registered European lawyer acting on his own behalf;

·         a foreign lawyer;

·         a Scottish or Northern Irish Solicitor; or

·         the representative of any body (such as a Legal Advice Centre or Pro Bono or Free Representation Unit) which arranges for the supply of legal services to the public without a fee, and which has been and remains designated by the Bar Standards Board (subject to such conditions as may be imposed by the Bar Council or Bar Standards Board in relation to insurance or any other matter whatsoever) as suitable for the instruction of barristers, and which instructs a barrister to supply legal services without a fee.


Instructions delivered under Professional Client Access are accepted, unless otherwise agreed, on the basis of our default contractual terms.

Licensed access

Licensed access is a licensing system whereby organisations or individuals who are suitable to instruct barristers because they have expertise in particular areas of the law can apply to the Bar Council to be licensed to instruct barristers directly in those areas. The licence can cover advice or representation or both and permit licensees to instruct barristers either on their own affairs or on behalf of their clients.

Instructions delivered under Licensed Access are accepted, unless otherwise agreed, on the basis of our default contractual terms.

Licensed Access work is also governed by the Bar Council’s Licensed Access Terms of Work.

If you wish to find out more about Licensed Access, please refer to the Bar Standards Board guidance.